Organic Gyokuro Green Tea CHIYONOHARU
100 g (3.53 oz)
Gyokuro green tea, translated as “jade dew” or "jewel dew", is renowned as a superior grade shade-grown green tea with abundant umami. “Organic” Gyokyro green tea production is rare as the strict organic production requirements limit the fertilization methods available, which makes it very difficult for green tea farmers to produce this tea with its signature rich taste organically.
Our Organic Gyokuro Green Tea CHIYONOHARU is sourced from a private single estate tea farm with over 160 years of history, which has produced organic green tea over 40 years in Uji region, Kyoto.
This organically blessed “jade dew” has a lovely mellow sweet flavor, a unique yet surprisingly pleasant seaweed-like aroma called Ooika (覆い香) coupled with intense umami.
Organic green tea
Gluten-free. Vegan friendly. Non-GMO. Dairy-free. No preservatives.
✓ JAS organic certification (JONA)
✓ USDA National Organic Program
✓ EU organic certification
✓ Canadian Organic Regime (COR)
Tea Producer Profile
Family owned and operated green tea farm in the Uji area of Kyoto for over 160 years.
One of the pioneers of organic green tea in Japan for over 40 years.
10 g · 2 tbsp 90 ml · 3.04 oz 60°C · 140°F 60 sec
Water temperature (60°C · 140°F) is important to bring out of the best of gyokuro green tea.
Using soft water with fewer minerals is recommended to ensure the quality of the tea.
(1) Pour 90 ml · 3.04 oz of boiled water into an empty teapot (Kyusu) and let the water cool down to about 80-90°C · 176-194°F.
(2) Pour the hot water in the teapot into a water cooler (Yuzamashi) or a mug to let the water cool down to about 70-80°C · 158-176°F.
(3) Pour the hot water in the water cooler/mug into small tea cups (small Yunomi for gyokuro green tea) to let the water cool down to about 60-70°C · 140-158°F.
(4) Put 10 g · 2 tbsp of gyokuro green tea leaves into the teapot.
(5) Pour the hot water from the small tea cups into the teapot and wait for 60 seconds. Make sure not to shake the tea pot while brewing, which brings out the bitterness.
(6) Pour gyokuro green tea into the small tea cups. When serving several cups of tea, pour a little into each cup in turn, then repeat in reverse order to ensure an even density of tea in each cup. Make sure not to leave any tea in the teapot as the last drops contain the essence of gyokuro’s richness.
* For the second and third infusion, use hot water at a higher temperature and brew for a shorter time than the first infusion.
Lab tested for radioactivity and agricultural chemical residue.
Contamination sensors and metal detectors used when processing the product.
Avoid heat, moisture, sunlight, air and odors.
Unopened: Store in a cool, dry and dark place or in the fridge. If you will not open your package for more than two months, keep it in the freezer.
Opened: Seal tightly after using and store in a cool, dry and dark place or in the fridge.
* After taking it out of the fridge/freezer, allow it to warm up to room temperature before opening/using to avoid condensation.
** Once it’s opened, use in 2-3 months to ensure optimum freshness, taste and color.
Country of Origin